A chronicle of the meanderings, false starts (which in retrospect, while sort of embarrassing turned out to be highly instructive), epiphanies, selective apathy (still evolving), wild mood swings, opinions (subject to frequent change), and life lessons of an inveterate dabbler (and her latest dabblings).

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Kelley's Bead No. 1

Today I finished my first piece using one of the fabulous beads Kelley Wenzel of Kelley's Bead Studio sent me. Her bead is a plump egg shape, mostly clear with a graceful swirl of diaphanous sandy ribbons inside. The "ribbons" inside Kelley's bead reminded me of the web-like pattern of sand-colored veining in aqua terra jasper, and I thought her glassy clear bead would be a nice contrast to the opaque and semi-matte jasper.



I thought an asymmetrical necklace would work best, as I thought the visual weight of the lampwork bead could carry one whole side of the necklace by itself, and giving it its own space would make the most of it.



I used the last of my most recent batch of copper bead caps, more aqua terra jasper in big 12mm rounds, a little amazonite roundel on the lampwork side to bring the sea green into that side, and four strands of Ornamentea's fabulous "borneo" rolo chain in copper. The little fluorite round was mostly added as a spacer to get it to the length I wanted, but I think it looks nice. Turned out to be about 17 and 1/2" inches. The length is a bit of a challenge, because you have to remove even numbers of links when using double strands of the rolo chain, as the links alternate orientation.



I don't know which of Kelley's beads I will use next. I'm really drawn to the one (see two posts ago) with the swirls of mauve, lavender and green on a sand background. I'm ALL about sand right now. Probably because it's winter and I despise winter. Winter is seven months long in Montana. Summer is one month long. Spring and fall are just minor variations on winter. I live in Montana for complex psychological reasons I am not even going to begin to try to unravel (i.e., my Mommy lives here).

OK, time to make more bead caps. I am SO not in shape for that kind of thing right now.

14 comments:

  1. Great necklace lovely colours, soothing and calm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love that you are just overwhelmed with the desire to create something RIGHT NOW! Your design is stunning. Keep on keeping at it! You are on to some great things here! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. you really do such beautiful work - i have a goal to get some basics made and ready... so that when i am consumed by an idea i can get to it, not do that stop - start - stop - start thing that happens as you need components... you must really love your mom! :0) that's nice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly MJ! I hate having an idea all fully formed, I'm ready to do it, but I'm missing some silly little absolutely essential component. Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gob smacked. This is a spectacular piece and the Kelly bead is just a perfect little contrast to all of the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm, I love Aqua Terra jasper...this is a great necklace Keirsten! The lampwork bead is a nice addition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are "rockin" the bead caps...they add so much to a piece. I just LOVE this necklace, it is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keirsten, this necklace turned out amazing! I love the colors and think your wire wrapping is gorgeous. Now, where is the Sundance catalogue description?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Les matières sont magnifiques, soyeuses et caressantes, j'aime l'association du cuivre avec la profondeur des reflets du verre... (j'espère que vous comprendrez mon français !)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, that necklace totally rocks! I love aqua terra jasper anyway and with your copper bead caps? MMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks everybody! merci isabelle! (j'ai du consulter un dictionnaire pour traduire, mais je crois que je comprends--je n'ai parler pas de francais pendant longtemps! vous avez un don pour les mots! Je vais commencer a utiliser "silky" dans mes Etsy listings!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This necklace is so beautiful. I love your blog too. Thanks for connecting on Twitter. Your work is so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks mirjana! LOVE the piece of artwork you have on your website right now.

    ReplyDelete